View Single Post
Old 2019-05-01, 10:13 PM   #4
LargeEddie
Measure once, trim to fit

Good to see your update, unijohn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by unijohn View Post
On some days I really get the feeling that I am getting better and then I drive a little further. On other days it just goes bad, where sometimes I hardly even manage to ride away from the post.
Yes, that's my experience too. Some days it's "two steps forward, one step back." Other days it's "one step forward, two steps back." Many times I've had a good day of practicing where I did some skill easily, and when I tried again the next day it was as if I had only dreamt that I could do it!

Only a few incredibly gifted unicyclists will learn every skill, but working on unicycling is unicycling. That's what we signed up for.

There are many worse ways to spend an hour than practicing unicycling, and no matter how well or badly it goes, I try to remember that I'm fortunate to have the opportunity to do it.

Quote:
I signed up for two parts at the Dutch Unicycling Championship: the 100 and 800 meters. My main goal is just to reach the finish and that is hard enough for me.
That sounds like it will be a lot of fun!

If you look at some of the ancient topics on this forum, there seemed to be some "I'm better than you" attitude in unicycling a couple of decades ago, during a little "boom time" when it looked like it might become very popular and there was something to gain from it. But I haven't run into any of that myself in the 6 years (today is the anniversary of my first day practicing!) I've been riding. I think you will find that you get a lot of encouragement and acceptance and positive responses.

Quote:
After the championship, I will continue practising freemount, but it is very, very hard for me. That would above all give me the freedom to practice in many more places, instead of always riding a few hundred meters from the exact same place.
Yes, it really does help a lot. Here's the thing though: No freemount is ever perfect, or not for me at least. Every time, my weight will be a little bit too far forward or backward, or I've turned myself to the wrong direction or I'm leaning to one side or my foot isn't in the right place on the pedal, or some combination of these. The key is to be skilled enough at low-speed riding to recover from any/all of these things when I get on the saddle and ride off anyway.

Short way of saying that: Keep riding and working on your balance and recovery skills, and you'll eventually find that freemounting isn't so big of a challenge.

Quote:
If it comes to that, I think it might take years to do things like freemounting, idling, hopping and riding backwards.
I can do those things now, and yes it did take years to learn them. But learning has been the fun part anyway. Enjoy the ride!
LargeEddie is offline   Reply With Quote

Page generated in 0.06255 seconds with 9 queries