Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Non-unicycling Discussion > Just Conversation & Introduce Yourself

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2006-02-10, 02:10 PM   #16
BillyTheMountain
Happy Wal-Mart Employee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naomi
I think the idea is that by growing the fuel: forests, oilseed rape, whatever, the plants fix the carbon from the atmosphere whilst growing.
Please sign the attached petition to outlaw oilseed rape in Sweden. Oilseeds are safe from this horror in every other industrialized nation.

C'mon Sweden, get in step!
Old 2006-02-10, 06:39 PM   #17
monkeyman
+dan's amulet of bling blingin'

Send a message via AIM to monkeyman Send a message via MSN to monkeyman
Thumbs up

Personally, I don't think global warming is that big a problem...there have been climate fluctuations since the earth was here...congrats to Sweden for trying to get themselves away from oil though...if only America would stop "bring addicted to oil"...
who knows, maybe we'd finally get out of Iraq...
monkeyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-10, 07:31 PM   #18
johnfoss
North Shore ridin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by musketman
he he! Our science teacher told us about cars that were powered by only water! You just fill them up and go with regular water found anywhere.
Sounds like hydrogen fuel cell technology. The hydrogen can be gotten from water, by electrolysis. But you don't put water into the fuel tank. Production of all the hydrogen needed by fuel cell cars will still require lots of energy, but this doesn't have to be oil-powered. The nice thing about these cars? The *exhaust* is water, in the form of water vapor.

This technology is under development, but I don't think it's in widespread use anywhere yet. Pilot programs and prototypes only.

I'm amazed by the Brazil information, of their success with ethanol. Maybe someone should tell George Bush about this! If manufacturers can make flex-fuel engines for thousands of cars in Brazil, why not everywhere? Let's get that ball rolling!

"Who is going to argue with a mom who can ride a unicycle?" -- Forums member "HiMo"
johnfoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-10, 08:44 PM   #19
HardcoreCokerRider
Skateparks, MTB & Urban Insanity

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnfoss
I'm amazed by the Brazil information, of their success with ethanol. Maybe someone should tell George Bush about this! If manufacturers can make flex-fuel engines for thousands of cars in Brazil, why not everywhere? Let's get that ball rolling!
I agree with you, 100%. Not to be a nit-picker (or is it knit-picker? well in either case...), but they have 1.3 million flex fuel cars on the road, NOT several thousand!!!

At the very least... Hawaii should be following the example set by Brazil. Hawaii has an ideal climate and geography for sugar cane production. As a matter of fact they once had a thriving sugar cane industry. Unfortunately, there are no longer any sugar cane farms left in Hawaii... but if the government started a sugar cane initiative there, they could probably produce enough to make the entire state nearly completely independent of oil (for automobiles, anyway). That one is just a no-brainer!

HardcoreCokerRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-12, 10:30 PM   #20
Borges
Unicyclist

I've tried to find out what they're going to replace the fossil fuels with. I haven't been all that successful. I'm not sure there's a plan or if they've just set an ambitious goal to see how far they can get.
I found is a report saying that by 2020 they'll be able to produce about 250TW per year from renewable sources. That's about 80% of what they currently use for heating and industry etc. They removed transport from the equation for some reason.
The report talked about replacing nuclear power too, but that leaves nothing but improved energy efficiency to take care of the last 20% and the energy used for transportation.
Borges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-12, 10:51 PM   #21
musketman
Unicyclist

Quote:
Sounds like hydrogen fuel cell technology. The hydrogen can be gotten from water, by electrolysis. But you don't put water into the fuel tank. Production of all the hydrogen needed by fuel cell cars will still require lots of energy, but this doesn't have to be oil-powered. The nice thing about these cars? The *exhaust* is water, in the form of water vapor.

This technology is under development, but I don't think it's in widespread use anywhere yet. Pilot programs and prototypes only.

no those hydrogen cars where different than what he was talking about. You actually put water in the tank. Iam sure of it.
musketman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-17, 07:11 AM   #22
Gilby
Unicyclist.com Webmaster

Quote:
if manufacturers can make flex-fuel engines for thousands of cars in Brazil, why not everywhere? Let's get that ball rolling!
It sounds like they have already, at least here in the midwest. In Minnesota, we have E85, which is 85% ethanol gas made from corn (a big crop in Minnesota and the midwest). Right now, both GM and Ford are doing heavy advertising about their flexfuel vehicles. GM has their "yellow" campaign (corn is yellow), and ford has, well, just a regular "feel good" campaign about their improvements saying "it's not easy being green".

Now, I just wish there was a hybrid that took both diesel and e85... Ford is close with it's test vehicle which is a hybrid/e85 vehicle. Or better yet, their hydraulic hybrid...

Geez, I hate to say this, but with the iraq war being an issue on oil, it looks like the American car companies are becoming concerned about fuel efficiency and being good for the environment.

Even better yet would be a plugin, solar recharging, diesel/E85 hydraulic hybrid.

Tags
2020, free, oil, plans, sweden