Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > General Unicycling Discussions

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2008-04-30, 01:47 AM   #1
MuniAddict
UniGeezer - Not "2" Tired

Thumbs up New brake location on T7

I wanted to relocate my brake lever on my 36er's T7, but to fit it *below* the "T" wouldn't work-until I found the lever, pictured below! I got a pair of them for just $15 at my LBS. I like this new location better for a couple of reasons.

I'm less apt to accidently squeeze the lever when going to grab the handle. I can now use the same length cable when I get the new coker handle, since that configuration uses the underside of the saddle for mounting the lever, instead of the bars. Oh, and I MUCH prefer this 36er to the new Big One I recently had..and sold! Not that there's anything wrong with it. I think the new coker is a great uni, but I just prefer my Rockin' Radial!

Name:  DSC03386.JPG
Views: 368
Size:  482.4 KB

Name:  DSC03385.JPG
Views: 465
Size:  546.5 KB

Website
Videos
Facebook

Last edited by MuniAddict; 2008-04-30 at 01:49 AM.
MuniAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-30, 02:02 AM   #2
$unidude$chad$:)
Wonders uni club:):):):)

Send a message via AIM to $unidude$chad$:)
soa~weetness i wish i had a cool ride liek that to attract all the ladies like terry does
Old 2008-04-30, 02:17 AM   #3
onelesscar
I get places on 75% fewer wheels

How do you squeeze the lever in that position? It's not anywhere close to your hands...

And I have to say, I've never accidentally grabbed the lever going for my handlebar. Is that a common problem?
Old 2008-04-30, 02:36 AM   #4
MuniAddict

Quote:
Originally Posted by onelesscar
How do you squeeze the lever in that position? It's not anywhere close to your hands...

And I have to say, I've never accidentally grabbed the lever going for my handlebar. Is that a common problem?
Haha, no I haven't actually engaged the lever, but have come close a couple times. I also wondered if the new, lower location would pose any access problems, but to my surprise, it works out great!

I only use the brake on rare ocassions, but when I want to use it, my hand seems to find it as naturally as if were mounted under the front of the saddle, as it is very close to that position. So, no problems. (I also really like the way it looks now a lot better than before lol!)

Website
Videos
Facebook

Last edited by MuniAddict; 2008-04-30 at 02:37 AM.
Old 2008-05-04, 08:03 PM   #5
unicyclist.ca
Coming soon...

I did a similar thing but I opted for a long "old school" lever for more control.
Old 2008-05-04, 09:16 PM   #6
chuckaeronut
Lover of Geared 36ers!

Send a message via AIM to chuckaeronut
Hope it works out for you, Terry! I really like to easily and automatically just extend my fingers from their resting positions to grab the brake and slow down at stop lights or hills. I'm sure that either position will be completely "automatable" so you don't have to think about it to use it, and can use it well, but... I think that brake position would drive me nuts Although, that's probably only because I've gotten so used to my handle where it is (on the right-hand handle of the T7, very conventional location)
Old 2008-05-04, 10:07 PM   #7
joemarshall
dumb blonde

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuniAddict
Haha, no I haven't actually engaged the lever, but have come close a couple times. I also wondered if the new, lower location would pose any access problems, but to my surprise, it works out great!

I only use the brake on rare ocassions, but when I want to use it, my hand seems to find it as naturally as if were mounted under the front of the saddle, as it is very close to that position. So, no problems. (I also really like the way it looks now a lot better than before lol!)
Don't you ride downhills, where you need the hand constantly on the brake to go fast?

Joe
joemarshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-04, 11:09 PM   #8
unicyclist.ca
Coming soon...

I live in the mountains and I use my brake all the time for descending hills and slowing down, I never really thought of having it for "emergency" situations until when I had to use it fast yesterday on account of almost running over a very dense dog...
Old 2008-05-04, 11:16 PM   #9
MuniAddict

Quote:
Originally Posted by joemarshall
Don't you ride downhills, where you need the hand constantly on the brake to go fast?

Joe
I ride mostly on flat, smooth beach bike paths that go for 24 miles each way, and so I rarely have a need for the brake. My hand is pretty big though, and I have long fingers that make it very easy to reach the brake.

This position is only temporary unitl I get my new coker touring handle, which will allow mounting the brake under the front of the seat, like on my MUni. The T7 *single* bar is in the way and won't allow for mounting the lever under the saddle.

Website
Videos
Facebook

Last edited by MuniAddict; 2008-05-04 at 11:18 PM.
Old 2008-05-04, 11:28 PM   #10
unicyclist.ca
Coming soon...

What are those brake levers called?
Old 2008-05-05, 01:27 PM   #11
capuni
Perry

Send a message via MSN to capuni Send a message via Yahoo to capuni
I got the idea to use friction shifters from someone else on the forum. Here's my setup. The shifters work so much better for me then the traditional brake lever. On long descents, I just set the appropriate drag and pedal on without having to worry about keeping hand pressure on a lever. No more bump and throw.

Attached Images

Last edited by capuni; 2008-05-05 at 01:29 PM.
capuni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-05, 01:30 PM   #12
Triball
Pimped out

I got the brake on the lower part. I have right between the two hole thingies. It works out great
Old 2008-05-05, 11:39 PM   #13
MuniAddict

Quote:
Originally Posted by capuni
I got the idea to use friction shifters from someone else on the forum. Here's my setup. The shifters work so much better for me then the traditional brake lever. On long descents, I just set the appropriate drag and pedal on without having to worry about keeping hand pressure on a lever. No more bump and throw.
Does that friction shifter accept the same cable as the brake lever, or do you need a different cable? And if I go to my LBS, would I ask specifically for a "friction shifter", or is there another name for them?

Website
Videos
Facebook

Last edited by MuniAddict; 2008-05-05 at 11:40 PM.
Old 2008-05-06, 12:59 AM   #14
capuni
Perry

Send a message via MSN to capuni Send a message via Yahoo to capuni
Quote:
Originally Posted by MuniAddict
Does that friction shifter accept the same cable as the brake lever, or do you need a different cable? And if I go to my LBS, would I ask specifically for a "friction shifter", or is there another name for them?
It's a different cable. Same gauge, just a different end. You LBS will know what a friction shifter (thumb shifter) is. You just want to make sure it's friction, not indexed. They're really inexpensive and you may be lucky enough to get your hands on a used one for a couple of dollars.

You're looking for something like this. http://aebike.com/page.cfm?PageID=30...ils&sku=LD1243

Keep in mind there is a left and a right, so you'll want to think about where this is going to be mounted and how you want the lever to rotate.

Last edited by capuni; 2008-05-06 at 01:00 AM.
capuni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-06, 04:03 AM   #15
XCcrev
Learning Crankflips

Hmmm I wonder if you could have both a friction shifter and a brake. I would find that combination very useful. I dont know if it is possible cable-wise though.
XCcrev is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brake, location