Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > General Unicycling Discussions

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2019-04-15, 01:59 PM   #31
finnspin
one wheeled cycling

Quote:
Originally Posted by wobbling bear View Post
I have a dream: for Unicon Grenoble organize an OGOOW (Old Geezers On One Wheel) muni event (for the over 60) going down some mountain (easy ride) and just enjoy the scenery, talk to squirrels, and good beer for finishing the ride! So you can compete!
Few dreams are this easily obtainable.

Step 1: Find easy mountain ride.
Step 2: Put OGOOW (Old Geezers On One Wheel) muni event on workshop list.
Step 3: Do OGOOW (Old Geezers On One Wheel) muni event.
Step 4: Drink beer. (Finding good beer in France may be the hardest part of this list)

If you want that to be a competition, you need to get new priorities.

Unicon is a world championship, and a convention. I think both parts are important, but they don't mix well. A social area, workshop board and open gyms for everyone to practice in are important so the convention part is there, and it's an event for non competitors.

But you can't make competitions to suit everyone. There was a complaint filed in Brixen about the trials lines being "too difficult". The Trials director then showed that one of the lines was completable without even hopping. I find a lot of people are way too proud of "competing in world championship", which sounds good to non unicyclist, but in reality is zero indication of skill.
Old 2019-04-15, 02:49 PM   #32
DaUniGuy
Training hard for retirement!

Quote:
I have a dream: for Unicon Grenoble organize an OGOOW (Old Geezers On One Wheel) muni event (for the over 60) going down some mountain (easy ride) and just enjoy the scenery, talk to squirrels, and good beer for finishing the ride! So you can compete!

Just what I am talking about. Winner is who takes the longest, smells the most roses along the way and has the most fun. The trophy is cold and frosty at the end and everybody gets a trophey!
Old 2019-04-15, 06:17 PM   #33
wobbling bear
GranPa goes-a-wobblin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaUniGuy View Post
The trophy is cold and frosty at the end
Sorry but for me good beer should not be cold ! The proper place for storing beer is 2nd step of the stairs leading to the basement (czech recipe).
(and , yes, you can find good beer in France)
Old 2019-04-15, 07:35 PM   #34
DaUniGuy

Quote:
Sorry but for me good beer should not be cold ! The proper place for storing beer is 2nd step of the stairs leading to the basement (czech recipe).
(and , yes, you can find good beer in France)
LOL I wondered about that. I am up for some cultural expansion. It would be good for an old Missouri Boy like me.
Old 2019-04-15, 11:28 PM   #35
Klaas Bil
Sir Prince of Newsgroupia

Quote:
muni event (for the over 60)
Here's an idea! If it doesn't clash with anything else, I'm in too.
Klaas Bil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-04-16, 07:01 PM   #36
ernst
Anfänger

Quote:
This is age discrimination!
Easy muni and beer afterwards is my main unicycling discipline.
There must be age groups for younger riders.
Old 2019-04-17, 07:26 AM   #37
pierrox
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ernst View Post
Totally with you on this!
pierrox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-04-17, 09:06 AM   #38
Sanne.Kj
55 blood donations :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klaas Bil View Post
Here's an idea! If it doesn't clash with anything else, I'm in too.
So am I, if I participate in Unicon20. I hope so
But I need some more training. Last year it was too hot during the summer, so I did not ride very much.

Best regards,
Sanne
Sanne.Kj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-04-17, 01:21 PM   #39
wobbling bear
GranPa goes-a-wobblin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by ernst View Post
Ok! ok! you're right! OGOOW could come with their children and grand-children (or temporarily adopt one -provided they pay for the beer -)
Old 2019-04-17, 07:32 PM   #40
unigoat
Uni CX is a thing.

Quote:
I would like that as well. My first NAUCC was in 2014 put on by the Twin Cities Unicycle Club. My second was 2015 that the Madison Unicyclist hosted. I had a blast! Both of these events by these clubs seemed to put a big emphasis on the beginner unicyclist and promoting the sport to guys and gals like me who will never win any competitions.

They had lots of clinics and classes that I attended and learned so much from. Sone of the clinics I remember that I attended were five minutes next trick, mounts for everyone, learning to unicycle and several I can't remember the name of. I am a club of one. Anything I learn is done by trial and error and You-Tube videos by myself so the learning curve can be slow and frustrating. Getting some assistance and tutoring was very special for me.

It seems like the last few NAUCC's the emphasis was focused on the competition aspect of our sport. I was a little disappointed when I saw that the NAUCC this year that there was very little scheduled for low skilled guys like me. Other then the Street workshop (which sounds like a Hoot) but still requires a some good basic skills even for the entry level tricks.

That's fine, the host clubs puts forth a lot of effort to put these on and do a great job so for that I thank them for their efforts. Just want to point out there are a whole lot of hacks like me out there who would like to attend so keep us in mind.

My days of competition are over and if I can make it this year I planned on attending as a participant not a competitor. I will just hang out in the gym and at the skate park and pester those of you with talent for some pointers enjoy the scenery and a few cold beers and the beautiful scenery.
Thanks for the feedback.

The workshops available at a uni convention (NAUCC or Unicon) depend upon people offering to host them. The years you attended were hosted by the two largest active clubs who attend NAUCCs. Both years were great.

Many of the other NAUCCs have been hosted by smaller clubs (although 2018 was from the 3rd largest, RTUC) and depend on non-locals to step in and help out as directors and workshop leaders.

So- I'd encourage anyone on the fence to attend an NAUCC. First, as a competitor. Not because you're likely to win, but because if you can ride a unicycle you should race it - BECAUSE IT'S FUN! Cyclocross (especially) is for EVERYONE who can ride and freemount their unicycle on terrain as technical as a grassy field. And, the party atmosphere is encouraged. There should be handups, High 5s, and general shenanigans along with racing.

This year's NAUCC is in Fort Collins, CO. We've pretty much nailed down New Belgium Brewing as the site for Cyclocross. They've been a long time supporter of fun on two wheels for all ages. Now they're offering to host us for a day of fun on one.

The NAUCC 2019 host club is small. They are doing a great job at getting a full schedule and working hard at making this a great uni event- the best in the USA this year. Getting the venues and logistics managed are difficult with a small crew. They are enlisting a lot of outside help. Workshops fall under that banner. If you can think of one that you'd host, please give it a go. Folks appreciate having options.
unigoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-04-17, 11:44 PM   #41
DaUniGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by unigoat View Post
If you can think of one that you'd host, please give it a go. Folks appreciate having options.
My original post was not meant to criticize so please don't take it as such. Just some thoughts from a lower skilled non-competitive unicyclist.
Old 2019-04-18, 03:32 AM   #42
johnfoss
North Shore ridin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garp View Post
Only 250km from my place
I hope to meet you there; I never miss it.
Quote:
It seems like the last few NAUCC's the emphasis was focused on the competition aspect of our sport.
It's always a difficult balance trying to fit even more stuff in than the competition events; unfortunately they take precedence. Sometimes it works out great, but other times there aren't enough people, or enough combination of spaces in the right places, to make it work. I will always do my best to host at least one workshop. Other than Sumo, which is a different workshop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaUniGuy
My days of competition are over and if I can make it this year I planned on attending as a participant not a competitor.
Not recommended. NAUCC is very much geared to enthusiasts of all levels, with plenty of room in almost every event. Do them for the fun of it! I used to win a lot, but these days I get (almost) the same amount of satisfaction for finishing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fetzenschorsch View Post
Reduce the age limit to 58 and I`m in.
Me too! A non-competitive Muni ride is perhaps my favorite activity to do at a unicycle convention in a new place. I'm very exited to hear about Grenoble, which I just saw yesterday!
Quote:
Sorry but for me good beer should not be cold !
Eww. I guess it depends how hot is is outside. Not Korea-hot, please.
Quote:
Originally Posted by unigoat View Post
...(although 2018 was from the 3rd largest, RTUC) and depend on non-locals to step in and help out as directors and workshop leaders.
I understand last year they had a lot of trouble securing their main venues; originally the advertised Stevenson High School (my alma mater), but the school district moved them once, and then again, to where they had to find something outside of the district.

For this year's NAUCC, they advertise some sort of a Muni ride every day, which is a very attractive to me! Most or all of those will be non-competitive, which is my favorite kind.

Vive la France!

"The miracle is this: the more we share, the more we have." -- Leonard Nimoy
johnfoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-04-19, 02:04 AM   #43
Richardt
Unicyclist

UNICON 2020 in France

This just announced from the IUF on Facebook:

"Unicon 20 in 2020

It’s been a while since our last update about Unicon 20 – we would have loved to send you an update earlier, but we also didn’t want to push rumors. However, now we are very glad to finally announce the official location for Unicon 20! 🙂

Unicon 20 will take place in Summer 2020 in Grenoble, France, and will be hosted by the CNM and UNSLL. We are already looking forward to another amazing Unicon with all of you and would also like to thank everyone working hard to organize the event. Further information will follow soon!"
Richardt is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
#onewheel, #party, #unicon, #unicycle, 2020, leaked, location, unicon