Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > General Unicycling Discussions

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2014-07-07, 01:06 PM   #1
JulianW

Question Unicycle jogle challenge. Advice please

Hello. I am new to this forum and somewhat of a noob with regard to unicycling but my 13 year old son has been doing it for several years and is very competent.

I am considering doing a unicycle ride for charity next year with my son from John O Groats to Lands End. I am well aware this will be a serious proposition but with enough training and preparation I don't see why we can't do it within a 2-3 week period.

A few questions I would like help with are:-

* Can you help with advice on handlebars for a 36" Nimbus Oracle or similar?
* What is the best route to take, ie. least hills?
* Will 12 months of regular training be enough for me to reach the necessary level of ability to be able to hold my own?
* Are some hills just too hard to tackle on a 36" uni or do you need to consider altering crank length etc for steep hills?

Thanks in advance for your advice and comments.
JulianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-07-07, 02:56 PM   #2
davejh
Unicyclist

sciz and ryan tried to do this last year, unfortunately the main road though devon/cornwall is apparently suicidal and pretty much closed to cyclists. Given this i would recommend looking for one of the more scenic and circuitous routes than the speed record routes favoured by many of our 2 wheeled kin. The ride has been done before by several different groups.

12 months is plenty of time with regular training, Dual hole cranks for hills might be a big help if the going gets tough. Disc brakes should make any descent comfortable but i would recommend a different brake to the low end hydraulic disc brakes packaged with unis. If you can fit a spyre or spyke, take it.

Handlebar wise, both the t and shadow are good. The t-bar is smaller than the shadow and doesn't have a rear balance/rack. The shadow needs adjustment to work with the flat kh saddle, the pivotal bolt needs loctite and if it comes loose it needs the saddle removed to fix but feels stronger and is impossible to twist. Aerobars help a lot for long rides as it is much more comfortable to come off the saddle with elbow pads and good posture.

Last edited by davejh; 2014-07-07 at 02:57 PM.
davejh is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advice, challenge, jogle, unicycle