Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > General Unicycling Discussions

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2018-05-28, 05:02 AM   #16
Mikefule
Bridge of Otherwhere: on Kindle

Quote:
Originally Posted by bungeejoe View Post

Start saving for a 36”. Stay away from the Nightfox.

JM
Threadjack. I'm curious: why do you say this? What is the problem with a Nightfox? Genuinely interested.
Old 2018-05-28, 05:36 PM   #17
elpuebloUNIdo
Viva la revolucion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyMark View Post
having a goal to aim for means I've got a good reason to get out on a regular basis and practice.
When I started unicycling, I set an arbitrary goal. I told myself I would be officially unicycling when I could ride a single, 1/4 mile loop around my neighborhood without dismounting. Part of the goal, as well, was to be able to self-mount. It took me about 6 weeks of daily practice (1-2 hrs/day) to achieve that goal. Having a goal helped me keep practicing.

But then, I discovered that I enjoyed practice for practice sake. There was a past forum thread about yoga and unicycling. I came across this quote:

One of the principles of yoga is not to seek the fruits of your actions. Practice for its own sake, without regard to success or failure. This is the way to equanimity. --Baron Baptiste

In other words, love the process.

Also, as you improve, basic skills, such as riding forward, will get a lot easier. You will start to relax, and you might actually start having fun. I think some beginners quit after they've learned to ride...but before they get to the point where unicycling gets easier.

Keep practicing!
elpuebloUNIdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-06-01, 08:27 PM   #18
bungeejoe
Joe Myers

Quote:

It will all depend on you, MonkeyMark…

Now it’s time to commit, make some noise about it, and start…

JM
MonkeyMark:

Are you make any noises or commitment?

When ever I drive the route first I’m always convinced I’ll never finish. You might go drive the route. That way you’ll see just what you’re getting into — makes backing out the only reasonable thing to do…

Usually I’m already committed to the ride first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikefule View Post
Threadjack. I'm curious: why do you say this? What is the problem with a Nightfox? Genuinely interested.
MikeFule:
An acquaintance had a NightFox. He had a love/hate relationship with the Nightfox. He even posted reviews on unicycle.comUSA — Don’t bother looking for his reviews.

What he disliked most was his ignorance, thinking the internet was an honest place, that his polite yet slightly negative review would help others make informed and wiser choices than he had.

It was not like he was suggesting they go somewhere else to shop.

He also thought his reviews might offer the manufacturer insight into some minor inexpensive improvements which might increase customer satisfaction and product durability.

You may notice that on unicycle.comUSA reviews are heavily weighted.

I’m usually glad I’m not a sponsored unicyclist. No one is dictating my choices or my expressions of enjoyment.

JM

Last edited by bungeejoe; 2018-06-01 at 08:29 PM.
bungeejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-06-02, 03:44 AM   #19
Unipig
Unicyclist

Quote:
MonkeyMark:

Are you make any noises or commitment?

When ever I drive the route first I’m always convinced I’ll never finish. You might go drive the route. That way you’ll see just what you’re getting into — makes backing out the only reasonable thing to do…

Usually I’m already committed to the ride first.

MikeFule:
An acquaintance had a NightFox. He had a love/hate relationship with the Nightfox. He even posted reviews on unicycle.comUSA — Don’t bother looking for his reviews.

What he disliked most was his ignorance, thinking the internet was an honest place, that his polite yet slightly negative review would help others make informed and wiser choices than he had.

It was not like he was suggesting they go somewhere else to shop.

He also thought his reviews might offer the manufacturer insight into some minor inexpensive improvements which might increase customer satisfaction and product durability.

You may notice that on unicycle.comUSA reviews are heavily weighted.

I’m usually glad I’m not a sponsored unicyclist. No one is dictating my choices or my expressions of enjoyment.

JM
Sorry but what issues was he having. I have a nightfox. Any issues I should be aware of from a safety standpoint?
Unipig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-06-02, 04:13 PM   #20
JimT
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unipig View Post
..... Any issues (about a Nigthfox) I should be aware of from a safety standpoint?
I think if there was something wrong with or inherently defective with the Nigthfox that the internet would blow that issue way out of proportion. Just like anything there are advantages and disadvantages with the Nightfox. An advantage is that the seat can be adjusted lower then any 36er but the seat angle may be harder to adjust then most unicycles. Do a goggle search for “nightfox unicycle review” for several reviews. I saw no major issues, there are many happy Nightfox owners out there.

Jim
JimT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-06-02, 06:08 PM   #21
Mikefule
Bridge of Otherwhere: on Kindle

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimT View Post
I think if there was something wrong with or inherently defective with the Nigthfox that the internet would blow that issue way out of proportion. Just like anything there are advantages and disadvantages with the Nightfox. An advantage is that the seat can be adjusted lower then any 36er but the seat angle may be harder to adjust then most unicycles. Do a goggle search for “nightfox unicycle review” for several reviews. I saw no major issues, there are many happy Nightfox owners out there.

Jim
I had a rare sighting of another unicyclist recently. I was driving when I saw him but I recognised the distinctive Nightfox frame. I can't comment on the quality of the uni in detail, but I can report that he was doing warp speed.

Tags
challenge, motivate