Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > General Unicycling Discussions

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2017-12-11, 01:45 AM   #16
song
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Up Rite View Post
Unicycling seems to be safe to learn on your own.
Yeah, with Olympic lifting, what you have to do is very clear, and I guess it is dangerous, now that you mention it. With unicycling, the level of danger is mostly up to you! If there are other unicyclists around, they can make you safer by showing you how to do things correctly, but they can also put you in more danger by inspiring you to attempt stuff that you wouldn't try on your own. Somewhat paradoxically, maybe, if you take the risks to learn advanced skills, you will be safer during regular riding.

In general, though, unicycling is not very dangerous. Scrapes and pedal bites can be common if you ride aggressively, but that's usually about it. In terms of the potential for catastrophic injury, bicycles are much worse.
song is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-12-11, 03:11 AM   #17
Up Rite
There can only be ONE!

A proper Olympic lifting bar can spin freely under any load and withstand many drops and stay straight. There are plenty of barbells that are the 2" olympic style, that will bend or the sleeves break off when dropped. They will not spin under minor load. If you power clean a bar does not rotate properly, the torque can break your wrists.

If you are trained properly, you can do the lifts on your own, in relative safety. You must have correct equipment. Training yourself to do Olympic lifts is a recipie for disaster. A skilled coach who specializes in training for it is a must. Stay away from crossfit gyms to learn it. Too many of them do not know what they are doing. I strongly disagree with how they do the lifts to failure. Better to do the lift fresh, get your rest, and try it again with good form.

Reasons to train in Olympic lifting other than lifting:
1) If you have a need to be able to jump higher
2) If you need to be able to sprint
3) Learn a complex new skill

I think the jumping ability might help a shorter person mount a 36" unicycle, but that's just a guess. The stronger legs and back you get from it couldn't hurt either.

Downside is it will give you a huge appetite and need a lot of sleep. Your body will need it to rebuild and adapt.

I was looking for activities to switch to that increase my endurance, and ability to be active, sleep less, balance, learn new skills, and not get banned from smorgassboards and otherwise a huge food bill. Unicycling was my choice to get me started on this new path. Looks like there is a lot of interesting things to learn in this pursuit.

I would consider adding in the powerclean and Olympic snatch to my training in the future after I am lean. However, if I find it cutting into my stamina and increasing my need for rest, I will drop it fast. More likely to consider kettlebells, dumbbells, and war clubs and the one handed variations. Those are very interesting if you can already do the Olympic lifts properly. For now, I need a good long break from anything resembling a weight with a bar or handle.

Human gyroscope in training.

Last edited by Up Rite; 2017-12-11 at 03:15 AM. Reason: spelling, as usual
Up Rite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-12-11, 04:13 AM   #18
johnfoss
North Shore ridin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Up Rite View Post
Long ago when I was lean and light I could jump and kick an 8 foot ceiling. Definitely can't do that now.
Wow, I don't know if I've ever even seen that, and I've seen a lot of weird and amazing stuff!
Quote:
Right now, I am big and fat, which I am sure does not help, but I can't seem to get one leg off the cround without flattening that paper plate.
Not to worry. That's a cool skill to work on, I'm sure, but not necessary for learning to mount. It's definitely not about having enough power; it's all about being able to modulate the power you've got, to just keep the pedal where it is.

That video of the Korean lifters jumping onto the stack of weights was really impressive. When that short guy jumps, it looks like special effects; like he's got an invisible wire and winch helping him defy gravity. Very impressive!
Quote:
This is what happens when I try to jump one legged on paper plates:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oLwj8TD1_0E
Try not landing on your face -- I think that will preserve the skyscrapers.
Quote:
I thought that high jump on the unicycle was pretty impressive.
Definitely. That's actually a very new competition event, which I think is called Platform Jump. We started doing High Jump back in 1995, which was before Munis and Trials unicycles. Soon after, we added the Long Jump. Those were easy for people to understand, being similar to their Track & Field counterparts, but neither were direct corollaries for Trials. Trials riders jump up onto things, which is a useful skill for Trials, Street and any riding on rough terrain. Jumping over a bar is not. Plus you can go higher to a platform, so that part of it is more impressive. I think people don't realize how much harder it is to jump a unicycle over a bar, clear the bar and ride away. I always say the Track & Field athletes never finish their jumps (high or long).

"The miracle is this: the more we share, the more we have." -- Leonard Nimoy
johnfoss is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
box, challenge, invisible